Wednesday, 11 March 2015

Money on my mind

At the moment the main thing on my mind is houses. I love clicking on Right Move and browsing through all the houses. I often look at the mega bucks dream houses too, just to fantasise!

Our main savings goal at the moment is to buy our second home. We have been in our little semi for 4 years now and we are just about ready for something a little bigger. But last month I did splurge a little (did I really need another coat?!) and it has put things in perspective. I can’t have everything!

Apart from the obvious, check utility suppliers for the best deal, making over payments on your mortgage etc etc, here are a few of the things I do to cut back when you’re out and about on a daily basis.

1. Pre plan all your meals. We used to spend so much more when we didn't plan our lunch and dinner for the week and just grabbed stuff on the way home when we were starving! Set a budget as to what you want to spend each week on your food shopping. If that means no wine or Haribo’s this week then so be it!

2. Try and set yourself a challenge not to buy anything for yourself for a month. I am trying not to buy anything for the whole of March, it sounds easy but when you work in the city and have ASOS as your homepage it’s harder than you think to avoid them bargain dresses!

3. Leave your bank card at home. If you can’t buy it, you won’t buy it.

4. Have date night at home. Shove a pizza in the oven, get cuddled under some blankets and flick on Netflix or that old film at the back of the cupboard you both adore. It’s sometimes surprising what a good time you can have spending quality time together and not running around doing the washing.

5. Think about your money mantras. Do I really need it? Will I use it? Will it be cheaper anywhere else? I am the biggest culprit for impulse buying so I really need to do this more.

6. Get selling on eBay. I have so many clothes that I never wear (probably all the impulse buying). I bought a Barbour jacket before Christmas in the sale that was too big, but it was in the sale and I had a voucher so I had to have it! Wore it once. I ended up selling it for the same price I bought it for. 

7. I am really lucky that my company pays for my gym membership but there are so many great work out videos that you can do at home just from YouTube. I swear by Jillian Michaels 30 day shred and for a few quid, you can't go wrong (if of course it reaches the DVD player and doesn't stay under the coffee table!) 

8. And my favourite: The money jar. Every time you have coppers in your purse or loose change you won't need, put it in a jar. We did this when we first moved in together and last year we banked it in and over £100! Where else do the coppers go in your purse?

Happy saving!

When we first got the keys to our first home in 2011

Blog design by aleelily designs | Powered by Blogger.